Fire up the Grill. Memorial Day Weekend is here and it’s all about grilling. I wanted to deviate from the traditional burgers and brats so I’m sharing with you a favorite grill recipe from my cookbook “Tonja’s Table: Menus and Recipes for Every Occasion.” I seriously LOVE these Tandoori-ish Chicken Kebabs. Yogurt is one the the best tenderizers for meats and when you add fresh ginger, garlic, paprika, cumin, and cayenne to the mix you are in for a flavorful treat. These can be made-ahead and popped on the grill when you are ready to eat. I love serving them with tomatoes, lettuce, and homemade tzatziki sauce on Naan bread.
Yay–Minnesota summer is finally here.
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup lemon juice from 2 lemons
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons hot paprika
- 2 teaspoons freshly minced garlic (about 2 medium cloves)
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- Naan bread for serving
- In a medium bowl, stir together yogurt, lemon juice, oil, ginger, salt, smoked and hot paprika, garlic, black pepper, cumin, and cayenne pepper.
- Add the chicken to the spices and stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate and marinate 2-4 hours.
- Thread chicken tightly onto skewers.
- Preheat grill for high heat.
- Brush grate with oil, and place skewers on grill. Grill for 15 to 20 minutes, occasionally turning kabobs to ensure even cooking.
- Remove Chicken from skewers onto a large platter Add naan to platter and serve.
- 16 ounces plain Greek yogurt
- 2 cucumbers, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice of 1⁄2 lemon
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Mix the tzatziki ingredients together and stir well. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.