If you are looking for an easy addition to your Easter brunch, try this. Stratas rarely seem to show up on brunch menus, but in my opinion, are just about the best thing you can do with baked eggs—and, they are so easy to make. Unlike quiches and frittatas, the base of the strata are bread cubes that are left to soak in a custardy egg mixture. The bread makes the strata light and fluffy and a lot like a savory version of bread pudding that you get to eat for breakfast.
This is a basic recipe so feel free to add broccoli, asparagus, mushrooms, and peppers. Really, whatever you like. You can use any kind of bread but I think the onion rolls are the best.
If all this bread talk is making you have carb anxiety, don’t! It’s Easter, so celebrate and enjoy!
Have a blessed and Happy Easter everyone!!
- 14 ounces onion rolls, cubed
- ½ lb. Boar's Head deli ham, chopped
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan Reggiano cheese
- 8 eggs
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 1 tsp. salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375F. Butter a 9x11 baking dish. Place cubed rolls in pan. Top with ham and cheeses.
- Combine eggs, mustard, milk, and salt and pepper; whisk well. Pour over roll mixture.
- Bake 30 to 45 minutes, until set and puffed. Let cool 10 minutes and serve.