We were in San Diego for a long weekend this winter and finally ate at the Famous Roy’s Hawaiian Fusion Cuisine. It was fantastic. We had a beautiful view of the ocean and my husband and I enjoyed a long leisurely dinner. Everything on the menu was exceptional but the shrimp salad stood out. It was the combo of fresh shrimp, lime, capers, feta, and avocado that all balanced so perfectly together. I have been meaning to re-create this one at home and finally did. I think I came pretty close.
Make this for a weeknight meal or something special for your dinner guests.
- 2 tsp. minced shallots
- 3 Tbls. capers
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¾ tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 1 lb cherry tomatoes sliced in half
- ⅓ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ⅓ cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 dozen large cooked shrimp,each cut crosswise into 3 pcs.
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 head of romaine lettuce, chopped
- To make dressing:
- Combine shallots, 1 Tbls. capers, and lime juice in a blender and pure?e until smooth. Add olive oil and mustard and blend until well combined. Stir in honey.
- To assemble salad:
- In a bowl, add chopped romaine, tomato, feta, onion, and remaining capers. Toss together. Then lightly mix the shrimp and avocado into the bowl. Add dressing and salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.