One taste of these quick-charred green beans, and you’ll never steam them again. This dish is all about contrast—smoky charred green beans, cooling yogurt infused with curry oil, and a cashew crunch to top it off. Addicting, and so flavorful. I’m definitely heading back to the farmers market for more beans pronto.
“Blooming” is a great technique for extracting extra flavor out of spices. It’s a method where you gently fry spices in oil and cook just until the they smell nice and toasty; any longer and you risk burning them.
I hope you love this dish as much as I do!
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed
- ¼ cup plus 2 Tbls. canola oil
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 tsp. curry powder
- ¾ cup yogurt
- 2 Tbls. cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup cashews, chopped
- Heat a ¼ cup of canola oil over high heat. When hot, add the curry powder and let bloom about 1 minute. Remove from heat immediately and stir the curry oil into the yogurt and set aside.
- Combine green beans, 2 Tbls. canola oil, salt and red pepper flakes in a bowl; toss to coat. Preheat grill for medium heat (350 F) and lightly oil the grill pan. Arrange green beans on grill pan and place on preheated grill; cook and stir green beans occasionally until lightly charred, about 10 minutes.
- Spread curry yogurt over bottom of a platter. Top with the grilled beans followed by cashews and cilantro. Serve immediately.