Looking for a steakhouse meal at home? The Capital Grille in Minneapolis is one of our favorite spots to go for special occasions and when we’re looking for a really good steak. I secretly like sitting in their cozy bar and ordering these mouthwatering steak sandwiches with a glass of red wine. I’ve adapted their recipe for the home cook. No need to throw down the big bucks. Stay in and make these for your friends.
- 3 Tbls. butter
- 1⁄4 cup shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup bella mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup oyster mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbls. white wine
- 1 tsp. thyme, minced
- 1 tsp. kosher salt and ground black pepper
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1 tsp. garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 2 tsp. parsley, chopped
- 2 tsp. tarragon, chopped
- 2 tsp. basil, chopped
- 1 tsp. oregano, chopped
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 4 brioche buns
- 4 –2 oz each, filet mignon steak medallions
- kosher salt and pepper for steaks
- 1 bag of mixed greens
- In a large saute’ pan, melt the butter over medium-high heat and add mushrooms. Saute’ 5-7 minutes or until mushrooms have released juices and cooked down. Add the white wine, thyme, salt and pepper and stir well to combine. Cook until wine is reduced, 2-3 minutes.
- To make cream cheese spread, place cream cheese in mixer and mix until smooth, 1-2 minutes. Add garlic, lemon juice, parsley, tarragon, basil, oregano, and pepper. Mix until just combined. Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate until ready to use. Can be made up to 3 days ahead.
- Preheat grill to high. Season filet medallions with salt and pepper. Grill the steaks for 2 minutes per side and the interior is done to medium. While steaks are cooking preheat oven to 350 and place buns, split side up on baking sheet. Bake until golden brown, 5 minutes.
- To assemble sandwich, spread herb cream cheese mixture on top and bottom of buns. Layer mushrooms over the bottom followed by the filet. Add mixed greens over the filet and place top of bun on sandwiches.
- Serve immediately.