I’m making a case for homemade hummus. I know there are a million different store bought hummus brands out there but homemade is SO MUCH BETTER! The key is really good tahini (sesame paste) and the right ratios. I really like Trader Joe’s organic tahini. A dash of paprika and toasted pine nuts make this a beautiful simple summer appetizer.
- 1/3 cup good-quality tahini
- 4 Tbls. cold water
- 2 Tbls. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tsp. fine sea salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- juice of 1 lemon
- (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- dash of paprika
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- Add tahini, cold water, olive oil, cumin, salt, garlic and lemon juice to a food processor. Puree one minute.
- Add in the chickpeas. Puree for 4-5 minutes, pausing halfway to scrape down the sides of the bowl, until the hummus is smooth.Taste and season with additional salt, cumin, and/or lemon juice if needed.
- Sprinkle with paprika and pine nuts. Serve with pita chips, naan bread, and favorite vegetables.
- Can refrigerate for up to 3 days.