How can I go crazy over a 5 ingredient appetizer? Sometimes it’s simply in the technique and the fresh ingredients. This humble tapas originated in northern Spain, in the region of Catalonia. This recipe is a perfect end-of-summer dish and the simplicity and restraint result in a wonderful appetizer I would make for a party or serve my family with a hearty salad for a light dinner. It takes just minutes, and, more than anything, it highlights the quality of your ingredients.
- 8 slices of rustic bread (rustic Italian or sourdough)
- 3 medium-sized tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced in half
- 2 Tbls. extra virgin olive oil
- Maldon flaked salt to taste
- Optional: Thinly sliced Serrano ham or Manchego
- Heat oven to 500 degrees. Place bread on a baking sheet and toast until golden brown, about 8 minutes. Remove from oven.
- In the meantime, wash tomatoes and slice in half across the middle. Grate them onto a plate using a box grater. Sprinkle with salt.
- Rub garlic over grilled bread and drizzle with olive oil.
- Spoon tomato mixture over bread and drizzle with olive oil and a final sprinkle of salt.