These tacos start with a marinade of tequila, lime juice, and Tagin. Tagin is a seasoning mix of dried chilies and lime made in Mexico and now readily available everywhere because it’s SO good. When I found this I was immediately hooked. I’ve added some heat with the Chipotle Crema, a crunch with the cabbage, and some chunky bites of avocado to make the perfect bite—which is always my goal.
This will take less than 30 minutes to make and its one of my new favorite shrimp taco recipes.
Taco Tuesday--Tequila Lime Shrimp Tacos with Chipotle Crema
Author: Tonja Engen
- For the Tacos:
- 1 pound medium raw shrimp, Peeled and Deveined
- ⅓ cup tequila
- 3 Tbls. fresh lime juice
- 3 tsp. Tagin seasoning (seasoning mix consisting of dried and ground red chilies, sea salt, dehydrated lime juice)
- ½ tsp. each salt and pepper
- Cilantro, chopped
- 1 bag shredded purple and green cabbage
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 1 Lime
- corn or flour tortillas
- For the Chipolte Crema:
- 2 canned adobo peppers plus 1 Tbls. sauce (from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce; 11 ounce can)
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- ½ tsp. salt
- Preheat the grill to medium-high.
- In a large bowl, add tequila, lime juice, Tagin seasoning, and salt and pepper. Stir together and add shrimp. Marinate for 15 minutes.
- In a food processor, add Chipotle peppers with Adobo sauce and sour cream and puree until smooth. Add salt to taste.
- Grill shrimp 1½ minutes per side and remove to a platter. Grill tortillas 30 seconds a side.
- To assemble, add cabbage, shrimp, and avocado to tortilla, spoon Chipotle crema over tacos and sprinkle with cilantro.