This appetizer is an easy win for a summer party. In fact, in Mexico Queso Fundido is one of the most popular appetizers served at barbecue parties. They place the cheese mixture in a small clay skillet and melt it on top of the grill along with some tortillas. Then they snack on it while they finish grilling the meat. And who doesn’t love hot bubbly gooey spicy cheese? I like to serve this with tortilla chips and warm flour tortillas.
You would normally use your favorite Mexican beer in this recipe but because we recently toured the Surly Brewing Co. and enjoyed the 5 course Brewers Table Tasting menu, my husband is obsessed with Surly Overrated. A shout-out to Surly for their amazing success!
- 5 ounces fresh chorizo, casings removed
- Olive oil, as needed
- 1/2 small red onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 Tbls. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Surly Overrated IPA
- 3/4 cup milk
- 4 ounces shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 ounces, shredded cheddar Jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Warmed flour tortillas
- tortilla chips
- In a medium skillet over medium-high heat cook the chorizo until golden, about 5 minutes. Remove from the pan and add 1 Tbls. of olive oil. Reduce heat to medium and add onion and jalapeno. Cook onion mixture, stirring occasionally, until soft, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Sprinkle in the flour and cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute.
- Pour in the beer and bring to a boil. cook 1 minute. Gradually add the milk, whisking, and bring to a gentle boil until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Add the cheeses and reduce the heat to low. Cook, stirring frequently, until the cheese fully melts, about 3 minutes. Stir in the reserved chorizo. Transfer to a serving dish, garnish with the cilantro and serve warm.