- 5 ounces fresh chorizo, casings removed
- Olive oil, as needed
- 1/2 small red onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 Tbls. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Surly Overrated IPA
- 3/4 cup milk
- 4 ounces shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 ounces, shredded cheddar Jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Warmed flour tortillas
- tortilla chips
- In a medium skillet over medium-high heat cook the chorizo until golden, about 5 minutes. Remove from the pan and add 1 Tbls. of olive oil. Reduce heat to medium and add onion and jalapeno. Cook onion mixture, stirring occasionally, until soft, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Sprinkle in the flour and cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute.
- Pour in the beer and bring to a boil. cook 1 minute. Gradually add the milk, whisking, and bring to a gentle boil until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Add the cheeses and reduce the heat to low. Cook, stirring frequently, until the cheese fully melts, about 3 minutes. Stir in the reserved chorizo. Transfer to a serving dish, garnish with the cilantro and serve warm.