We celebrated our anniversary at one of our favorite restaurants, 112 Eatery, a few weeks ago. We had this incredible charred corn salad w/ cotija & buttermilk and it was one of the best corn-anythings I’ve tasted. I re-created a similar version here and it worked. I will never boil corn again. I kept the buttermilk dressing on the side so others could add it if they liked.
This is a perfect summer side or potluck dish for when corn is at its peak.
- For The Dressing:
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tbls. cider vinegar
- 1 Tbls. snipped fresh chives
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp.hot red-pepper sauce
- For The Corn Salad:
- 8 ears fresh corn, husked
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced
- Olive oil for brushing corn
- 1/2 cup diced orange bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced yellow bell pepper
- 1 cup cotija cheese crumbled
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 3/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 3/4 tsp. pepper
- Directions For Dressing:
- Whisk dressing ingredients in a bowl until blended. Refrigerate until serving.
- Directions For Corn Salad:
- Prepare grill to medium-high heat. Lightly coat corn with olive oil. Grill corn 10-15 minutes, turning several times, until lightly charred and tender. Cut kernels from cobs into a medium bowl.
- In the meantime, add 1 Tbls. Olive oil to a large saute’ pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and peppers and saute’ until tender, 5-8 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- Add cooled pepper mixture to the corn. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle cheese and parsley over the top. Mix all together and serve with dressing.