At first glance, meatball recipes are never very exciting to me—until I came across these little gems.
They are one of the most popular items on our catering menu and also a kid favorite. These meatballs have an Italian twist and are so good they don’t even need sauce. Serve these at your next party or for a weeknight meal. I’m warning you—they are addicting!
- 3 Heads Garlic, Root Ends Cut Off
- Olive Oil (To Coat Garlic Heads)
- 2 Tsp Fresh Thyme, Minced
- 1 Tsp Fresh Basil, Minced
- 2 Shallots, Minced
- 12 Ounces Ground Beef
- 12 Ounces Ground Pork
- 1 Egg
- 1 ¼ Cup Unseasoned Bread Crumbs
- ¾ Cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, Freshly Grated
- 1/8 Cup Milk
- ½ Cup Flour
- Salt & Fresh Pepper
- Olive Oil For Frying
- Pour olive oil over garlic heads and wrap with with foil.. Bake @ 400° until soft, one hour. Cool garlic and squeeze the garlic paste from each clove skin.
- Sauté shallots in 1 tsp. of olive oil on medium low heat until tender, about 5-7 minutes . Cool.
- Combine all ingredients but flour and mix with your hands until incorporated. Shape into 40 balls and roll in flour to lightly coat.
- Fry in olive oil until lightly browned, 7-10 minutes using forks to roll them around. Remove to lined cookie sheet.
- Serve with favorite pasta sauce if desired.