I have a new favorite condiment—Calabrian Pepper Paste. From Calabria Italy, these hot chili peppers, especially when crushed and fermented, create an amazing flavor. They are traditionally used in pastas and on pizzas. I decided to incorporate them into my new take on a Caesar salad– So delish! Butter lettuce makes for a stunning presentation, and I finished the salad with some pretzel roll croutons and shaved Parmesan Reggiano.
I hope you try this soon—May be a great addition to your Easter table!
Spring Salad---Calabrian Caesar w/ Butter Lettuce and Pretzel Croutons
Author: Tonja Engen
- For The Salad:
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 3 cups pretzel bread or rolls, chopped
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 2 heads butter lettuce
- ½ cup shaved parmesan cheese
- For The Dressing:
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- ½ tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- 1 tablespoon Worcestshire sauce
- 2 teaspoon Calabrian chili paste (trader joes)
- Melt the butter in a large skillet set over a medium heat. Add in the pretzel pieces, sprinkle with salt and stir a few times. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the pieces begin to crisp up and turn golden brown, about 7-10 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all the dressing ingredients until smooth and well-combined. Set aside.To assemble the salad, layer the butter lettuce leaves on a serving dish. Drizzle with the dressing, then top with the pretzel croutons, and parmesan cheese.