This recipe from my cookbook Tonja’s Table: Menus and Recipes For Every Occasion, is one of my favorites and a great fall menu when you are looking for soup and sandwich night. It’s loosely adapted from Nordstrom’s tomato-basil soup and an upgrade from my Campbell’s tomato soup and grilled cheese as a kid. Enjoy!
Season as you go. This recipe will use more salt and pepper than listed below. You can continue to add to your liking and taste.
This makes a big batch of soup and you can freeze the leftovers.
Make-Ahead Mini Croque Monsieur Sandwiches and Tomato Basil Soup
- 6 Tbls. Olive oil
- 4 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 tsp. salt, plus extra for seasoning
- 2 tsp. black pepper, plus extra for seasoning
- 1 Tbls. crushed dried basil
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. cayenne
- 1/4 cup gin
- 3 cans (28 ounces) whole peeled Roma tomatoes (San Marzano)
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1/2 cup cream or whole milk (optional)
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add carrots, onion, salt, and pepper, and cook until they begin to soften, about 10 minutes; then add basil and cayenne, and cook until vegetables are completely soft, about 5 minutes more.
- Add gin and reduce for 2-3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and broth and season again with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 20-30 minutes, or up to 45 minutes if time permits.
- After allowing soup to cool somewhat, puree with an immersion blender or in a blender or food processor until smooth, doing so in batches if necessary.
- If desired, stir in cream over low heat, and continue stirring until soup is just heated through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Leave a Reply