Now that I’ve managed to eat my way through the holidays —and because it’s so cold my dog won’t go outside, I thought a hot, spicy, low-cal, fortifying soup would do me some good.
This soups secret ingredient is the Chipotle Pepper. Which, for those of you who don’t know, is a smoked Jalapeño. These peppers are addicting as they have that wonderful smoky flavor. They pack quite a punch so you can use less or more depending on your taste buds.
Garnish with sour cream and shredded cheese and let this soup warm you from the inside out.
Chipotle Chicken Soup
- 1 pound of chicken breasts sliced thin
- 1 onion diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 quarts of chicken stock
- 1–3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 tsp. salt and pepper
- 3 Tbls. tomato paste
- 1 can of black beans
- 2 Tbls. cumin
- Salt to taste
- ¾ cup of frozen corn
- ¼ – ½ cup whole milk or cream
- Monterey jack cheese
- sour cream
- Slice chicken breasts and sprinkle with salt and pepper and cumin. Sauté’ in 1 tbls. of olive oil until cooked through. Set aside.
- In a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat, sauté onions and garlic until soft. Add chipotles, and chicken stock. Bring to a boil. Add tomato paste, black beans, corn, and chicken. Simmer for ½ hour. Add milk or cream. Simmer another 15 minutes. Taste for seasoning.
- Top with Monterey Jack cheese and sour cream and serve.
Leave a Reply