We are having friends over for the Superbowl this year and in the past I’ve made lot’s of variations of Buffalo Chicken (which you can find on my website). This year I’m trying out two new sandwiches— Your guests will love these!
The first is a Chicago Style Italian Beef and Sausage Combo. It’s done in a crockpot so can stay heated and ready for your guests all night. Get really good hoagie buns and a really good jar of giardiniera.
The Second are Spicy Jalapeno Philly Cheese Steak Sliders. This is a perfect game day sandwich and I’ve finally found my favorite use for pretzel buns. If you don’t want spicy, use a regular cream cheese. And definitely have your butcher pre-slice this meat. It makes assembly a cinch.
Have fun and enjoy these sandwiches anytime!
- 6 hot Italian sausage links
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds thinly sliced, Italian beef deli meat (such as Vienna or Scala’s), or regular deli roast beef
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 red peppers, seeded and sliced
- 6 cloves of garlic, very thinly sliced or minced
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 Tbls. paprika
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. red chili flakes
- 1 1/2 cups of beef broth
- 11/2 cups red wine
- 3 Tbls. Worcestershire sauce
- 6 hoagie buns
- Jar of hot giardiniera
- Heat oven to broil. Slice hoagie buns in half and lightly butter each side. Arrange on a baking sheet and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat until shimmering. Place sausages in pan and brown on all sides. Transfer meat to the bowl of a slow-cooker. Add the Italian beef, onions, red peppers, garlic, cayenne, paprika, oregano, chili flakes, bay leaves, beef broth, red wine, and Worcestershire sauce. Stir to combine, cover and cook on low for 4 hours.
- To serve, broil hoagie buns until toasted. then tuck an Italian sausage link, mound of Italian beef and generous drizzle of au jus into bread and top with giardiniera. (Or, if you want to be authentic, quickly dunk the bread in jus before filling it up.)
- 1–1.5 lb beef chuck roast, shaved into thin slices (have butcher do this)
- 1 Tbls. Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 2 green bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 1 large onion, sliced into thin rings
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 oz. Kraft Philadelphia Spicy Jalapeno Cream Cheese
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- 8 pretzel rolls (or other roll of choice for slider buns)
- salt and pepper
- 2–3 Tbsp. butter
- Heat oven to broil. Slice pretzels rolls in half and lightly butter each side. Arrange on a baking sheet and set aside.
- Melt 1 Tbls. of butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add bell peppers, onion, and garlic and saute until golden and soft. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Melt another tablespoon of butter in the pan and add Worcestershire sauce and sliced beef, separating slices. Season with Montreal Streak Seasoning and cook until meat is browned and cooked through (about 5 minutes).
- Stir in jalapeno cream cheese. (You can always add more or less depending on how cheesy you want it). Remove from heat.
- Place about 1/4 cup of meat on the bottom half of each roll. Top with a spoonful of pepper & onion mix. Top with a slice of provolone cheese. Broil in the oven until the provolone is melted and buns are toasted.