May is National Salad Month and I’m serving up a yummy steak salad. My inspiration this week came from these chives growing in my backyard. They were screaming to be snipped and made into something delicious.
With Memorial weekend upon us and our rusty grill still working, why not incorporate both with this mouth-watering steak salad. It’s served with a Gorgonzola, Parmesan, and chive dressing. I even poured some of the steak juices into my dressing mixture and wow was it delicious!
Tips for the Steak: Get a good sear on the grill and when your steak is done, let it rest for at least 10 minutes. Don’t cut into it right away or you’ll lose all the wonderful juices.
If you don’t have buttermilk on hand you can substitute 1 cup of milk with 1 Tbls. of lemon juice.
Have a great weekend and enjoy!
- For Steak:
- 2–8 oz. filets or prime sirloin
- 1–2 Tbls. Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 1 Tbls. Olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- For dressing:
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup Gorgonzola cheese crumbles
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup minced fresh chives
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp. Worcestershire
- 1/4 tsp. Tabasco sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 heads coarsely chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 cup croutons
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/2 cup shaved Parmesan
- Preheat Grill.
- Drizzle steak with olive oil. Sprinkle with Montreal Steak Seasoning and salt and pepper. Grill steak to desired doneness. Let rest 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, add buttermilk, Gorgonzola, Parmesan, mayonnaise, vinegar, chives, garlic, Dijon, Worcestershire and Tabasco to a salad dressing shaker or bowl . Mix ingredients well. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Place in the refrigerator for the flavor to meld completely.
- Slice steak into thin strips. In a large bowl add lettuce, tomatoes, croutons and Parmesan. Add steak and dressing. Mix completely right before serving.