I always have a mild panic attack the last week of school. Transition to summer, which I love, also carries with it the burden of a kitchen open 24-7 for our now teenage kids (and their friends (and their friends). How do I stock good food that they can make and eat at a moments notice?
Here is a recipe that can start your summer off on the right note. These make-ahead burrito bowls are simple and easy to assemble. They can be served hot or cold and your fridge won’t be empty!
Hope this helps ease your transition to summer and makes your family happy.
- For the Chicken:
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- kosher salt and pepper
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 cup of salsa
- For Chipotle Cream Sauce:
- 1 cup plain light sour cream
- 1 Chipotle pepper in adobo sauce plus 1 Tbls. adobo sauce (more if you want it spicier)
- 1 Tbls. lime juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Other Ingredients for Chicken Burrito Bowls:
- 2 cups brown rice
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups frozen roasted corn, thawed
- Chopped Cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place chicken breasts on a tin-foil lined cookie sheet and sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper. In a small bowl combine chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, and paprika. Sprinkle mixture over chicken breasts on both sides. Pour salsa over the breasts and cook in the oven for 30 minutes. Remove and set aside until cool. Chop chicken into bite size pieces.
- To make the chipotle cream sauce, add sour cream, chipotle pepper with adobo sauce, lime juice and salt and pepper. Process until smooth. Set aside
- To assemble bowls, Divide chopped chicken, rice, beans and roasted corn into 4 ziploc containers. Top with chipotle cream sauce and cilantro.
- Keep refrigerated until ready to eat. Will keep for 4 days.