You cannot be unhappy with a huge bowl of creamy comforting homemade Baked Mac-N-Cheese. The dynamic duo of sharp cheddar and Gruyere’ is a match made in heaven. Feel free to use any cheese you like but always grate it off the block. Packaged cheese will not do!
Grab a blanket and spoon and dig in.
To Make-Ahead, make as directed but do not bake. Transfer to a baking dish and cool completely. Cover tightly with foil and refrigerate 1-3 days ahead. Bring to room temp before baking (30 minutes to an hour on the counter). Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes until hot and bubbly.
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tsp. Kosher salt
- 2½ cups sharp cheddar, shredded
- 2 cups Gruyere', shredded
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 1 lb. elbow macaroni
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9x13 baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add pasta. Cook 2 minutes less than the package instructions so pasta is al dente.
- Drain noodles and drizzle with a little bit of olive oil to prevent sticking.
- Next, Bring evaporated milk and whole milk to simmer in a large saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, pepper, and salt. Working in batches, whisk in 2 cups of cheddar and 2 cups of Gruyere' and the cream cheese. Stir until completely smooth.
- Combine cheese mixture into bowl with noodles and mix thoroughly. Pour mixture into baking dish, sprinkle with ½ cup of remaining cheddar cheese, and bake covered for 20 minutes. Remove cover and cook an additional 10 minutes until lighlty brown and bubbly.