Crispy Goat Cheese with Mixed Greens and Candied Pecans
Author: Tonja Engen
- For Salad:
- 5 oz mixed green lettuce
- 1 log of goat cheese
- 1 egg
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- ⅓ cup candied pecans
- Canola oil for frying
- For Vinaigrette:
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 3 Tbls. champagne vinegar
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- Do ahead: Slice the goat cheese log into 6 ½ inch rounds. Cover in plastic wrap and place them in the freezer for at least ½ hour.
- Next, prepare 3 pie pans: one with egg whisked, one with flour and a third pan with panko.
- To make salad, mix ingredients for vinaigrette and set aside. Then in a large bowl, add mixed greens and pecans.
- Place a skillet over medium heat. Add enough oil to thoroughly coat the bottom of the skillet, about ¼ inch deep.
- When the oil is hot, quickly dip the frozen cheese rounds into the egg mixture, then flour, then panko.
- Place them into the skillet and pan-fry the cheese for 1 ½ to 2 minutes per side until it reaches a golden brown color. Flip with a small spatula. Remove the fried cheese and place it on a paper towel to absorb the extra oil.
- Toss salad with desired amount of vinaigrette and place goat cheese on top. Serve immediately.