I created this recipe for a fun “Sip and Shop” event hosted at Anthropologie–the beautiful clothing and home store.
Farro has become a fast favorite over the past few years. It’s an ancient grain that has a nutty flavor and when cooked has a unique chewy texture. Roasting cauliflower is a must. It completely changes the taste. It’s charred and sweet all at once and compliments the nutty chewy farro. I like to think of feta, sun-dried tomatoes, and kalamata olives as the perfect Greek trifecta of flavors. This salad is so versatile you can do almost anything with it. You could easily add artichokes, chickpeas, cucumbers or really anything you love to this mix.
This could become a main dish served with grilled chicken, or shrimp. It’s perfect to pack for lunch the next day and I’m totally obsessed with it.
- For the Cauliflower:
- 1 large head cauliflower (about 2 pounds), cut into bite-sized florets
- 2 Tbls. extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼-1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- For the Farro:
- 1 cup uncooked farro, rinsed
- 2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- For the Salad:
- ⅓ cup pitted Kalamata olives, halved lengthwise
- ⅓ cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- ¾ cup crumbled feta
- 2 Tbls. lemon juice plus more for serving
- 4 cups spinach
- 1 avocado, diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Toss the cauliflower florets with the olive oil, red pepper flakes and salt, and arrange it in an even layer on baking sheet. Roast for 25 to 35 minutes, tossing halfway, until the cauliflower is tender and deeply golden on the edges. Set aside to cool and chop into bite size pieces.
- Next, In a medium saucepan, combine the rinsed farro with three cups water. Bring the water to a boil, then reduce the heat to a gentle simmer, and cook until the farro is tender to the bite but still somewhat chewy, approximately 25 to 35 minutes. Drain off the excess water and mix in the olive oil, garlic and salt. Set aside.
- In a large serving bowl, toss together the roasted cauliflower, cooked farro, olives, sun-dried tomatoes, feta and lemon juice. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper if necessary.
- When ready to serve, add diced avocado and spinach leaves. Mix thoroughly. Drizzle with additional olive oil and lemon juice. Serve at room temp.