I’m rounding out my holiday entertaining with a new favorite egg bake. There are chunks of ham and buttery croissants in every bite. Melty Gruyere, cheddar cheese, and extra seasonings give this casserole a definite upgrade. Can be made ahead and baked off while you lounge in your P.J.’s and sip your bloody mary–I mean coffee!
Holiday Brunch--Ham, Gruyere' and Cheddar Croissant Casserole
Author: Tonja Engen
- 6 large croissants, split in half lengthwise
- 2 cups ham, cubed
- 8 eggs
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup green onions, minced
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- ¼ tsp. paprika
- Pinch cayenne
- 1½ tsp. Kosher salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 cup Gruyère cheese, grated
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 Tbls. parsley, minced
- Preheat oven to 450°. Spread croissants on a large baking sheet cut side up and bake until golden brown, 6 minutes. Let cool and then chop into bite-size pieces.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, heavy cream, green onions, dry mustard, paprika, cayenne, and salt and pepper. Stir in about ¾ cup Gruyère and ¾ cup cheddar cheese.
- Spray a 9-x-13” baking dish with cooking spray. Add croissants and ham into baking dish spreading out evenly on the bottom. Pour egg mixture on top. Press down gently on croissants to make sure they’re fully soaked in the mixture.
- (Refrigerate for 30 minutes up to overnight.)
- When you're ready to bake casserole, preheat oven to 350°. Top casserole with remaining cheeses. Bake until golden, about 45 minutes. Garnish with parsley and serve warm.