Truth be told, I’m a little crazy. My friends like to tell me it’s in the “good” kind of way…gotta love good friends. And my husband likes to tell me it’s in the “I love Lucy” sort of way–uh hmmm. So I guess you could say I embrace this with my cooking style too. I’m turning ordinary chicken sandwiches into wild and crazy with this lip-smacking sauce and zingy blackened seasoning.
I have a big aversion to dried-out chicken. So I’ve found a solution. Pound the chicken breasts and give them a brine. Brining is not hard! And it makes such a difference. The flat breasts allow for very fast, even cooking over heat high while the brine tenderizes the chicken so they are moist and juicy. The crazy sauce will become your go-to sandwich condiment because its soooo addicting.
Get crazy and turn plain chicken sandwiches into something special.
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- Olive oil
- 2 Tbls. Blackened Seasoning (Paul Prudhomme is the brand I use)
- For the brine:
- 1 quart ice cold water
- 2 Tbls. kosher salt
- 2 Tbls. sugar
- For The Crazy Sauce:
- 1/4 cup Giardiniera with juice
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. stone ground mustard
- 1/2 tsp. coarse ground pepper
- For the Chicken Sandwich:
- Green leaf lettuce
- sliced tomato
- Ciabbatta Rolls
- Crazy Sauce
- In a small, shallow bowl whisk together the the water, salt, and sugar until the solids are dissolved. Pound each chicken breast to a 1/2 inch thickness. Place the chicken breast slices in the brine and refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix all the ingredients for the crazy sauce, cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Next, take the chicken out of the refrigerator and dry with paper towels. Oil each chicken breast and then sprinkle both sides with blackened seasoning.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Place chicken slices on grill and cook until first side is blackened, 3 to 5 minutes. Flip and grill until second side is blackened and chicken is cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes longer. Remove from grill and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- While the chicken is resting, place rolls on the grill, cut side down, and grill until lightly browned. Remove from grill, spread top side of bread with crazy sauce and assemble sandwich with the chicken, tomatoes, and lettuce.
- Serve immediately.