- 2 (3 1/2-pound) chickens butterflied (ask butcher to do this)
- For Marinade:
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbls. fresh rosemary, minced
- 2 Tbls. fresh sage, minced
- 1 Tbls. red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- Special equipment: 2 foil-covered bricks.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- In a bowl, add all marinade ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Place chickens skin side down in a large baking dish and season with salt and pepper. Pour marinade over the chicken. Cover the dish and chill at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Spray grill rack with nonstick spray. Heat the grill over medium heat. Remove chicken from marinade. Place chicken, skin side down, on grill. Place foil-wrapped bricks atop chicken. Cover and grill until skin is crispy and brown, about 15 minutes. Remove bricks. Flip chicken over using tongs. Replace bricks and cook, covered, until chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes longer. Let chicken rest 10 minutes.
- While chicken is resting slice lemon in 4 quarters and place on grill. Cook until slightly charred, turning often, about 1 minute. Serve alongside for squeezing over chicken.