- 6 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 Tbls. olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 plum tomatoes, halved, seeded, and chopped
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup medium-grained rice
- 1 small packet Sazón seasoning (I used Goya brand)
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- 1 tsp. Crystal hot sauce
- 2 Tbls. parsley, minced
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 Tbls. lime juice
- Season the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. In a large cast iron pan or skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Sear the chicken thighs, turning once, until golden brown, about 5 minutes per side Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Next, add the onion, bell pepper, garlic, tomatoes, cayenne, and bay leaves and cook, stirring, until the onion begins to brown, 5-7 minutes.
- Add the rice and Sazón, and cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes. Pour in the chicken stock, season with salt, pepper, and hot sauce, stir, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to maintain a simmer and place the chicken thighs skin side up in the rice. Cook, partially covered, until the rice has absorbed the liquid and the chicken is cooked through, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves, sprinkle in peas and parsley over the rice, and gently stir to incorporate allowing peas to heat. Serve directly from the pan, with the yogurt and the bottle of hot sauce on the side.