- 2 Tbls. olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 2 large cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1 tsp. mexican oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 limes, 1 sliced, the other 2 squeezed(for using the juice)
- 1 cup fried tortilla strips
- 1 Avocado, diced
- 2 cups shredded chicken breast
- 1 cup of fresh farmers cheese, diced
- 2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
- 4 epazote leaves (or bay leaves)
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and cook in a crockpot with 1/4 cup chicken stock on high for 4-5 hours. You can also bake chicken in the oven at 350 for 45 minutes or buy a rotisserie chicken. Shred the chicken meat and set aside.
- In a dutch oven, add oil over med-high heat. Next, add the onion, garlic, tomatoes, oregano, cilantro and epazote. Cook until onions and tomatoes are soft, 5-8 minutes. Next, add the chicken, broth and the lime slices and juice and simmer for 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, Place diced avocado and cheese on the bottom of soup bowl. with a tongs, remove chicken out of dutch oven and divide between bowls. With a ladle, pour stock over the chicken. Place tortilla strips on top and serve immediately.