- 3 Tbls. soy sauce
- 1 Tbls. cornstarch
- 3 Tbls. mirin
- 1 pound flank steak or tri-tip, cut in thin strips on the bias
- 1 bunch of broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1 tsp. salt plus more for seasoning
- 1/4 tsp. sugar
- 4 Tbls. canola oil
- 2 Tbls. minced fresh ginger
- 2 Tbls. hoisin sauce
- 2 Tbls. honey
- 1 Tbls. chili sauce
- 2 Tbls. soy sauce
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 2 Tbls. toasted sesame seeds, optional
- In a zip-loc bag combine the soy sauce and cornstarch, and 1 Tbls. of mirin and mix well. Slice steak against the grain in thin slices. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and place in zip-loc. Add mixture and marinate for 20 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Heat 2 Tbsp. oil in a wok or frying pan over high heat. Stir minced ginger into oil; stir for 1 minute; add broccoli and cook, tossing to coat, for 1 minute more. Stir in 1 tsp. salt and sugar; add 1/4 cup water and cover. Steam, lifting cover and stirring once, until broccoli is bright green and crisp-tender, 2–3 minutes. Transfer broccoli mixture to plate and set aside.
- Next, whisk together the additional 2 Tbls. of mirin with the hoisin, honey, chili sauce, soy sauce, and orange juice until completely combined.
- Add another 2 Tbls. oil to wok on high heat. Add the beef and cook for 3-5 minutes. Then add the broccoli and sauce mixture and cook for another 2 minutes on medium heat until sauce thickens. Serve on warm platter, garnish with scallions, and sesame seeds.