- Pair with Famiglia Meschini Pinot Noir
- 2 loaves of firm white sandwich bread
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 6 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup pimiento-stuffed green Spanish olives, rinsed, drained, and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped scallion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 Tbls. medium-dry Sherry
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cut 20-30 rounds from bread slices with cutter, then brush 1 side of each round with butter and bake on a large baking sheet until pale golden, about 8 minutes. (Leave toasts on baking sheet.)
- Preheat broiler.
- Mash together cream cheese, olives, scallion, bell pepper, paprika, and Sherry until combined well, then spread each toast cream cheese mixture and sprinkle with Parmigiano-Reggiano. Broil canapés about 4 inches from heat until Parmigiano-Reggiano begins to turn golden, about 1 minute.
- Note: Toasts can be made 1 day ahead and cooled completely, then kept in an airtight container at room temperature. · Cream cheese mixture can be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered. Bring to room temperature before using.