This Middle Eastern chicken is incredibly aromatic. The health benefits of turmeric (fights inflammation, cancer and diabetes, a high antioxidant, and brain-booster, make this dish even more appealing. I prefer to eat my vitamins anyday so this meal will be in heavy rotation at our house.
Tahini is a paste made from ground sesame seeds and is so delicious combined in this sauce.
I like to serve this on Naan bread with a marinated cucumber, tomato, onion salad. Healthy, healthy, healthy–Enjoy!
Chicken Shawarma Wraps with Tahini Yogurt Sauce
Author: Tonja Engen
Serves: 4-6 servings
- For the Marinade:
- 2 lbs. chicken breasts or thighs (boneless, skinless) cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbls. ground coriander
- 1 Tbls. ground cumin
- 1 Tbls. ground Tumeric
- 2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp. each salt and pepper
- 1 Tbls. lemon juice
- 2 Tbls. olive oil
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- For The Tahini Yogurt Sauce:
- ½ cup greek yogurt
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 Tbls. tahini
- 3 tsp. sriracha
- 1 tsp. cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- For The Salad Mix:
- 1 cucumber, halved lengthwise, diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ⅓ cup thinly sliced red onion
- ½ lemon juiced
- 2 Tbls. red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- To Serve:
- 6 Naan bread
- 2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- Combine the marinade ingredients in a large bowl. Add the chicken and mix thoroughly. Cover and marinate 2 hours and up to overnight.
- Combine the tahini yogurt sauce ingredients in a bowl and mix. Cover and put in the fridge until ready to serve.
- In another bowl, add cucumber, tomato, and red onion. Mix lemon, red wine vinegar, and olive oil. Pour over vegetables and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- When ready to grill, skewer chicken onto kebab skewers.
- Heat grill or grill pan over
stoveon medium high heat. Grill 8-10 minutes turning occasionally so all sides get charred. Remove from grilland let rest for 5 minutes. Remove chicken from skewers and chop into bite-sized pieces.
- To assemble Shawarma, prepare Naan bread according to instructions. Place chicken over Naan and top with salad mix and lettuce. Drizzle with tahini yogurt sauce and serve.