I needed a one pot dinner to pop in the oven because its been one of those busy weeks. This orzo dish fits the bill. I added spring veggies of peas and leeks. I love this combo. Leeks are from the onion family and are related to shallots, garlic, chives, and scallions. They have a sweet, delicate flavor all their own. And they are absolutely delicious. You can get them at Trader Joe’s where they are already cleaned for you.
This creamy, bright, flavorful dish comes together pretty quick. And orzo seems kind of fancy and cool all at the same time. This makes a lot so you will have plenty of leftovers for the week.
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 (1-pound) package Orzo
- 2 Tbls. olive oil
- 1/2 cup proscuitto, chopped
- 2 leeks, white and green parts only, sliced in 1/4-inch rounds
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup Fontina cheese, shredded
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 400˚F. Spray a 9 by 12-inch baking pan.
- Bring the chicken broth to a boil over medium-high heat in a medium saucepan. Add the orzo and cook until almost tender, about 7 minutes. Pour the orzo and the broth into a large bowl. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, add oil over medium heat in a medium skillet. Add the prosciutto and sauté until crisp, 4-6 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon and to a plate lined with paper towels. Next add the leeks and sauté until soft,5-8 minutes. Add the wine and cook until the wine has reduced by half, about 3 minutes.
- Add the leeks and prosciutto to the orzo in the large bowl. Stir in with cream, Fontina, mozzarella, peas, salt and pepper. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle orzo with bread crumbs Bake until golden, about 25 minutes.