The last hurrah of summer is here and I’ve got just the meal to satisfy your tastebuds whether you’re at the lake, on a picnic, or parked in your backyard. This steak sandwich platter (I know—I’ll be done with platters after this), is filled with grilled onions, mushrooms, peppery arugula, blue cheese, and a steakhouse aioli to finish it off. Have your guests make it how they like and be sure to use a good cut of meat. I’m using beef tenderloin.
Finally, the Roosevelt Lodge baked beans are a recipe from the Roosevelt Old West Dinner Cookout in Yellowstone National Park (a must do if you ever go). I’m not sure if it was the horseback riding, the setting, or the cowboy music, but these were delicious. They are great for a crowd and can be made ahead.
Add some watermelon and a hearty green salad to this labor day cookout and enjoy.
- 3 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- kosher salt and pepper
- 1 lb beef tenderloin
- 1 8-oz package mushrooms
- 1 yellow onion sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 cup of arugula
- 1/2 cup blue cheese
- 1 package ciabatta buns
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- In a food processor, add the mustard, honey, garlic and mayonnaise processing until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Coat the tenderloin in 1 tablespoon olive oil and cover liberally with salt and pepper. On a prepared grill, cook the beef over med-high heat, turning occasionally to create a crust. Continue to grill until medium rare, approximately 20 minutes. (use a grill thermometer to determine temperature, I remove around 125 degrees.) Transfer to a plate and allow to rest for 10 minutes covered with foil.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the onions and mushrooms with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the onions and mushrooms until they start to char, approximately 15 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Brush both sides of the ciabatta bun with olive oil and grill, cut side down, until lightly charred, approximately 5 minutes.
- To Arrange: Slice the beef into 1/2 inch slices, and arrange on platter. Add rest of sandwich ingredients arranging onion/mushroom mixture, blue cheese and aioli in separate bowls.
- To assemble: Brush both cut sides of the bread with aioli, top the bottom half with grilled onion/mushroom mixture and then layer the beef on the mixture. Top the beef with blue cheese, arugula and then the top of the ciabatta. Serve and enjoy.
- 1 pound hamburger
- 1/2 pound bacon, chopped into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 medium onion, chopped into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 (16 oz) can pork and beans
- 1 (12 oz) can kidney beans
- 1 (12 oz) can butter beans
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- salt and fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Fry hamburger, bacon, and onion together. Drain fat. Stir in canned beans (for thicker beans, drain the liquid from the canned beans) and remaining ingredients. Place in a large, oven safe bowl.
- Bake in 325 degree F oven for about 45 minutes.