Back To School--Slow Cooker Butter Chicken with Basmati Rice
Author: Tonja Engen
- 3 Tbls. butter
- 2 lbs. skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
tsp. ground cumin
- 1 Tbls. red curry paste
tsp. ground ginger
tsp. chili powder
tsp. ground cardamon
- 1 Tbls. garam masala blend
- 1 Tbls. lime juice
- 1 (6
ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 (14
ounce) can coconut milk
- Season chicken thighs liberally with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet over medium heat add butter. Stir in the chicken, onion, and garlic. Cook and stir until the onion has softened about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the ground cumin, curry paste, ginger, chili powder, cardamom, and garam masala.
- Next, add lime juice and tomato paste and stir until no lumps of tomato paste remain.
- Pour into a slow cooker and add coconut milk, and yogurt.
- Cook on High 4 to 6 hours, or on Low 6 to 8 hours until the chicken is tender and the sauce has reduced to your desired consistency. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with basmati rice and Naan bread.