It’s healthy, it’s flavorful, and it’s done in 10 minutes on the grill. My kind of weeknight dinner. This is my favorite type of salmon–Sockeye. Also known as Red Salmon. It has a firm flesh and delectable flavor. It’s available May – August.
The marinade has all of my favorite Asian flavors; fresh garlic and ginger, soy, rice vinegar, sambal oelek, and hoisin sauce. And when grilled, the results are a smoky, umami lacquered rich tasting salmon–Yum! All you need is a big spatula for flipping and this grilling method is foolproof.
Serve with sauteed bok choy or broccoli and you have the most healthy weeknight dinner.
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 2 Tbls. sesame oil
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce
- 1 Tbls. Sambal Oelek
- 2 Tbls. Mirin (rice wine)
- 1 Tbls. ketchup
- 2 Tbls. brown sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbls. ginger, minced
- 1 Tbls. sesame seeds
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1 16-20 ounce salmon filet
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all marinade ingredients.
- Place salmon fillet in a gallon Ziploc bag. Pour marinade over top and let it marinate at least 30 minutes to overnight, turning the bag occasionally. Heat grill to high. Oil the grill rack well.
- Place salmon on the grill, skin side up. Cook for 6 minutes. With a large
spatuala, gently turn the salmon. Use half of the leftover marinade to brush the fish. Cover the grill and cook for 2 minutes. Brush with remaining marinade. Cover and grill 2 minutes more, 10 minutes total.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve with sauteed bok Choy or broccoli.