Chicken Tinga Tacos
Author: Tonja Engen
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- One (14.5-ounce) can fire-roasted diced or crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped chipotles plus 2 tablespoons adobo sauce from one (7-ounce) can
- ½ cup homemade chicken stock or low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- Kosher salt
- Warm corn tortillas, onion, cilantro, grated cotija cheese, and lime wedges for serving
- Place chicken breasts on foil-lined cookie sheet, spinkle with salt and pepper and drizzle 1-2 Tbls. of olive oil over breasts. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 40 minutes or until no longer pink in center. Remove from oven, cool slightly and chop into bite-sized pieces.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add onions and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions start to soften, about 5 minutes. Add oregano and cumin and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add tomatoes, chipotle, and adobo sauce and stir to combine. Remove from heat.
- Transfer sauce to a blender and puree until smooth. Pour sauce back into pan, stir in chicken, chicken stock and bay leaf, and bring to a boil over medium heat. Simmer for 20-30 minutes. Remove pan from heat and discard bay leaf and season with salt to taste.
- Spoon chicken into warm tortillas and top with onion, cilantro, and cotija cheese. Serve with lime wedges.