My girlfriend and I split a crop share this summer. It comes every Tuesday evening overflowing with bags off fresh produce to prepare. It’s a fun challenge to figure out what to make with all these goodies. This week I had an abundance of beets and arugula so I made this simple and delicious salad with all these super foods.
One of my favorite combos is beets and goat cheese. Something about the sweetness of the beets together with slightly acidic, pithy taste of the goat cheese creates a perfect flavor balance. Add the slight crunch of the toasted walnuts and now we’re talking. This dish is packed with an anti-oxidant punch.
- 4 beets, tops trimmed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbls. Sherry wine vinegar
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ⅓ cup walnuts
- 1 bunch arugula, trimmed and torn
- 4 ounces goat cheese(I prefer Stickney Hills)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Remove tops and the roots of the beets and peel each one with a vegetable peeler. Cut the beets in half (large ones in quarters). Toss with olive oil and salt and pepper. Roast 35-40 minutes until beets are tender. Remove from oven and let cool.
- While beets are cooling, heat a saute pan to medium-high heat and add walnuts. Toast, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes.
- Next, whisk sherry vinegar and olive oil together in a bowl with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- To assemble salad, slice beets thin and lay overlapping on serving platter. Next, sprinkle walnuts and goat cheese over beets. Sprinkle with arugula leaves. Pour dressing over the top and serve.