Now that I’ve managed to eat my way through the holidays —and because it’s so cold my dog won’t go outside, I thought a hot, spicy, low-cal, fortifying soup would do me some good.
This soups secret ingredient is the Chipotle Pepper. Which, for those of you who don’t know, is a smoked Jalapeño. These peppers are addicting as they have that wonderful smoky flavor. They pack quite a punch so you can use less or more depending on your taste buds.
Garnish with sour cream and shredded cheese and let this soup warm you from the inside out.
- 1 pound of chicken breasts sliced thin
- 1 onion diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 quarts of chicken stock
- 1-3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 tsp. salt and pepper
- 3 Tbls. tomato paste
- 1 can of black beans
- 2 Tbls. cumin
- Salt to taste
- ¾ cup of frozen corn
- ¼ - ½ cup whole milk or cream
- Monterey jack cheese
- sour cream
- Slice chicken breasts and sprinkle with salt and pepper and cumin. Sauté’ in 1 tbls. of olive oil until cooked through. Set aside.
- In a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat, sauté onions and garlic until soft. Add chipotles, and chicken stock. Bring to a boil. Add tomato paste, black beans, corn, and chicken. Simmer for ½ hour. Add milk or cream. Simmer another 15 minutes. Taste for seasoning.
- Top with Monterey Jack cheese and sour cream and serve.